Welcome to the 2014-15 Louisiana Green Schools Challenge!
Louisiana challenges schools across the state to green their facilities.
By getting students involved in sustainable projects, schools can lower
operating costs, improve indoor learning spaces, while empowering
teachers and youth, and our community forever. Sign up to take the 2014-15 Challenge today!
Registration deadline extended to Friday Sept. 19
- Sign up for the 2014-15 Green Schools Challenge NOW!
- Deadline to register is September 19th
- Join the 25 schools who have already signed on, including: RENEW Schaumburg Elementary School, St. Margaret Catholic School, Ben Franklin High School, Lycee Francais de la Nouvelle-Orleans, Edna Karr High School, Hammond Junior High Magnet School, Harry Hurst Middle School.
- CENLA joins the Challenge!! Welcome to the Montessori Education Center in Alexandria, the first school from Central Louisiana EVER to take the Louisiana Green Schools Challenge!
- Check out Anna Bell's Green Schools Challenge Facebook Page!
What is the Green Schools Challenge?
MISSION: To educate Louisiana about the benefits of green building and environmental stewardship by participation in hands-on, experiential projects.
The Green Schools Challenge provides the following:
- USGBC is the foremost authority on green building; we can provide mentors from our network of architects, engineers, and contractors to help schools implement successful projects, while students learn about career opportunities in sustainability. We can help you take your green projects even further!
- At the end of the school year, green projects showing the most impact will be given cash prizes & trophies by USGBC Louisiana.
- Teachers of winning teams will be given the opportunity to earn a Green Classroom Professional Certificate, with fees paid for by USGBC Louisiana.
- Schools are encouraged to
form a Green Team and sign up for the Challenge by September 12, 2014.
- Green Teams may be comprised of a student club, a single classroom, a
grade level, or even an entire school, headed by a dedicated teacher (called the "Project Coordinator”).
- One entry is allowed per school.
- See School Participation Information for more ways the Louisiana Green Schools Challenge can benefit you.
Each Green Team should select a low- or no-cost green project, to begin no later than October 1 and conclude on March 15, 2015. Green Teams, with their mentor's assistance, will document their project’s process, including observations of energy/resource savings and/or improved outcomes.
Each Green Team should submit a project submission cover sheet, project and results, with either a 5-minute video or digital presentation by March 30, 2015 for judging by an impartial panel of out of state representatives.
Click here for ideas on how to green your school.
Cash Awards and trophies (at Platinum, Gold & Silver Levels) will be presented to the top Elementary, Middle and Secondary School entries. Each winning school will be recognized at Living Green in New Orleans Celebration, as well as the USGBC Louisiana Annual Meeting.
Also, teachers of winning teams will be given the opportunity to earn a Green Classroom Professional Certificate, with fees paid for by USGBC Louisiana.
For questions regarding Louisiana Green Schools Challenge, please contact Challenge Chair Collen Butler or USGBC Chapter Coordinator Jolie Lemoine.
Key Dates for the 2014-15 Louisiana Green Schools Challenge
June- Sept 2014 | Schools & Mentors Sign Up To Take The Challenge
August 2014 | Launch of 2014-15 Louisiana Green Schools Challenge: Press Conference at New Orleans Science and Mathematics High School
September 19, 2014 | Deadline to Register for the Louisiana Green Schools Challenge
September 2014 | Mentors Assigned To Schools
September 17, 2014 | Green Schools Challenge Orientation Webinar (12-1pm)
September 24, 2014 | Green Schools Challenge Orientation Webinar (4-5 pm)
September 27, 2014 | Green Apple Day of Service
October 1, 2014 | Projects Begin By This Date
March 15, 2015| Project Completion
March 30, 2015 | Submissions Due
April 22, 2015 | Winners Announced
May 2015 | Presentation of Awards, Louisiana Tour
Congratulations to the 2013-14 Louisiana Green Schools Challenge Winners!
1st Place: Hynes Charter School, New Orleans
2nd Place: North Live Oak Elementary, Watson
3rd Place: T.L. Rodes Elementary, Haughton
1st Place: St. Margaret Catholic School, Lake Charles
2nd Place: Hammond Junior High School, Hammond
3rd Place: Harry Hurst Middle School, Destrehan
1st Place: Ben Franklin High School, New Orleans
2nd Place: New Orleans Science & Mathematics High School, New Orleans
We look forward to your participation in 2014-15!
Louisiana Green Schools Challenge Resources
The Louisiana Green Schools Challenge is Sponsored by:
Other Supporters of the Louisiana Green Schools Challenge are: